Thursday, January 22, 2004

So here's the funny thing about house hunting...

You have 2 houses in front of you, which do you choose small & ugly or small & cute. My mind was made up, but I had to see them both since I already made the appointments. What an enlightening day this has been.

The small & cute house was really cute. But the layout was terrible. Low ceilings, rooms every which a way, a basement that you can't get to unless you completely rebuild an entrance out of the other side of the house and washer/dryer in the kitchen! After the first house I was completely bummed because this was it for me and my husband. I just knew it, I could feel it...well it wasn't it.

I pull up to the small & ugly house with a frown on my face. I knew I wasn't going to like it. The house has no character, it is just a ranch style basic size house and the square footage was the same as the last house which I felt cramped inside. I pulled myself together enough to go into the house. Surprise, surprise...it is cute!! Nice gray carpet, lovely country kitchen, separate laundry room with extra storage, nice size rooms, big fenced backyard and a storage shed on a cement foundation. You can imagine my own surprise when I turned to my realtor and said "This is it!"

My father has always told me not to judge a book by it's cover. I have always tried to do that with people, now I realize he meant a lot more than just by judging people. I've learned to start looking at things differently. Even though I hate house hunting, I'm glad I've had this learning experience.

My husband checks out the house tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

TTFN

No comments: